International Student Support

  • Home
  • International Student Support

Arriving in the UK & Visas

International students who are not European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss nationals will need to apply for either a Student Tier 4 VISA or a Student Visitor VISA before coming to study in the UK (Visitor's VISA are acceptable only for a short-term course).


Student Visitor VISA

If you are an adult and you want to undertake a short course of study in the UK (such as a beginner’s English Language course or a work-related training course), you might be able to come here as a student visitor.

Student visitors are allowed to come to the UK for 6 months (or 11 months if they will be studying an English Language course). You cannot extend your stay beyond this period.

For more information please click here.


Visa Refusal and Refund

In the event of being refused a visa, a student can either re-apply, apply for a review or appeal and defer their course to the next semester or request a refund in case if they do not wish to continue the procedure with our college.

In order to apply for a refund the student must provide with the original or attested copy of the visa refusal letter along with an application requesting the refund. In all instances the refund must be applied (giving all the requested information) within 10 working days of the refusal. Failure to do so may result in NO REFUND.

Please note: A £150 administrative charge will be deducted from the amount paid, together with a any bank or payment handling / charge. All international students must present a proof of their finances to ensure their affordability for the course and life in the UK.

The living expenses / maintenance has been declared by the UK Border Agency to be £1000/month for students studying in London and £800/month for students studying outside London. These living expenses may cover accommodation rent, travelling, food and communication charges etc.

Please note that the maintenance amount does not include tuition fees. The fees has to be paid separately to the college.

New Time Limits for studying in the UK

Student Visitors:

A student visitor can not extend their stay in the UK. You will have to go back to your home country and re-apply for further visa. A student visitor may get a visa for 6 months to 11 months (If they are exclusively studying an English Language Course of a longer duration). More details can be found on this link.



Registering with the National Health Services (NHS) GP

If you are on a student visitor visa you may not be allowed to register with the National Health Services. We recommend you to buy Health Insurance (covering the period of your stay and travel to/from the UK) before you travel.

Upon enrolment, other eligible students will be issued with a NHS introductory letter which will allow you to register with a local GP (General Practitioner) who will register you under the UK NHS care scheme if you qualify. For further information, please visit:


Upon enrolment you will also be issued with the bank introductory letter which will enable you to open a bank account.


The college does not provide accommodation to the students on its own. However, we can provide contacts of the local estate agents or contact them on your behalf.

National Insurance

Upon your enrolment we will provide you with a letter to confirm you student status and confirmation of enrolment at Winsor Education for the purpose of being issued with a National Insurance Number. A National Insurance Number is a requirement under the UK Law for the purpose of Taxation.

Police registration

If the UK Entry Clearance or Residence Permit (“visa”) in your passport (or on your identity card) contains the statement: “The holder is also required to register at once with the police” or “Register with police within seven days”, you should register with your local police station within 7 days of your arrival.


Working in the UK

European Union Nationals

Students from European Union countries are allowed to work without any restriction. If you are a member of one of the new member states (except the Republic of Cyprus or Malta) working in the UK may be subject to the Accession State Worker registration Scheme. For more information please visit

Non-EU Students (student visitors and Tier 4 students )

According to new rules from UKBA, students from non-EU countries are not allowed to work if they are not studying at Higher Education Institution or Further Education-publically funded institutions but if you are on a short term study abroad degree programme at overseas higher education institution. All international students are advised to strictly follow these rules. For more information, for more details please visit.

Working Rights – UK border Agency regulations on work during term and work placements
  • Students at Recognised Bodies (universities) will retain their right to work 20 hours a week part-time and to do work placements where the study : work ratio is 50:50.
  • Students at publicly funded FE colleges will continue to be able to work 10 hours a week part-time.
  • Other students will have no right to work part-time and work placements will have to be 66:33 in favour of study : work.

Student Attendance

Student attendance is expected to be 100% for all classes and timetabled activities. All international students (from non EU/EEA countries) are obligated to attend a minimum of 80% of their classes in order to comply with United Kingdom Immigration requirements. We consider it as our duty to report any student whose attendance drops below the required percentage. Any absenteeism due to mitigating circumstances must be evidenced.



Once the student accepts the offer and wishes to proceed with the admission, the enrolment procedure starts there and then. For International students the enrolment process also starts once they have successfully obtained Entry Clearance to enter or Further Leave to remain in the UK.

Why to enrol?

As a policy all students must enrol with the college once they have successfully fulfilled all the admission formalities including registration. The enrolment will allow the students to gain access to the college facilities including computer lab, library or other learning and leisure resources and online portal etc. The students will also be issued with the College ID card and relevant letters that may enable students to register with the GP or to open a bank account or to gain Council tax exemption.

How and Where to enrol?

The current system of enrolment allows only face to face enrolment of the student. The students must enrol before the latest start date mentioned on the Admission / CAS letter.

The enrolment process takes place with the Admin officers who would verify the originality of all the documents that you submitted at the time of your application. All original documents including your ID must be provided at this time. Your details will then be updated on the database and your account will be activated for future use. You will be asked to cross check your details on the system.

If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

You are advised to use the following checklist for your easy journey.


Frequently Asked Questions

You can either apply online, through our website or you can download the application fill it in by hand, scan through and send it to us via email.

  • Yes you will need to send the following documents to support your application (Scanned copies are acceptable).
  • Clear copy of passport
  • Clear copy of valid Visa (if available)
  • Passport size photo x2
  • Clear copy of all certifications, if not in English, alongside original certificates, a translated copy needs to be provided. Plus a copy of the translation company following details of translator dated and signed.
  • Personal statement; a minimum of 150 words. Explain what you want to study, why you have chosen the college and the course, what are your current and future plans
  • Bank statements; validity of 28 days.

Yes, if you are privately funded, you will need to send a copy of your proof of income and validity of this should be within the last 3 years.

You will need to send the documents that have been mentioned above, however you do not have to include any proof of income, as you are supported by the government.

In your personal statement you would need to talk about what you want to do and why you have chosen to study here. also you can talk about your current and future plans. there is a word current, your personal statement should have a minimum of 150 words.

You will receive a letter via email which will congratulate you and will also explain the next steps of what you will need to do.

If application may not be successful for either two reasons, either you have not provided all the documents required, or some of the documents are not valid. Or the reason might be to do with your Visa. you will receive a letter via email or post to explain the reasons why your application has been rejected.

You will receive an email that will book an appointment with yourself for a Skype interview. this interview will be used as part of an assessment which will be conducted by the interviewer. it is important to remember to make sure that you are familiar with the terms and conditions of your course and the criteria it covers.

No. your government will issue a financial grantee which will be paid directly to us.

Yes. you will need to make sure to place a deposit of half of the tuition sum. (Note: £150, will be deducted as admission fees, and this is non refundable.)

Yes, a sum of £150 will be deducted from the payment you'll make as admissions fee. this fee is non-refundable. terms and conditions apply.

You will need a Visa letter from us to provide for your Visa application. this letter will be provided to you as soon as your application with us is successful. this is what we refer to as an acceptance letter.

You can apply for your Visa through your agency or online. otherwise you can contact us and we will assist you with your application.

You will need to apply at least 3 months before your course start date. this is in order to help you settle in the country, before you start the course.

If you visa is not accepted you will need to contact your agency, and re-apply.

You will need to contact us, and we will book you in for an induction, as soon as you arrive ready to start your course.

Accreditations, Partnerships & Affiliations